Thursday, April 19, 2012

Let's talk about bliss


Many people have dreams, but the desires which make up those dreams are often shelved by those very people, with a million excuses:

  • It's too expensive
  • I don't have the time
  • I'm focusing on my career right now
  • That's meant for other people
  • I'm set in my ways
  • I can't go there, they have tsunamis/earth quakes/monsoons/hurricanes/ice storms/volcanoes. 
  • I can't find a baby sitter/house sitter.
  • It's not my style/it won't look good on me
  • I won't like it
  • It will take too long
  • What would people think?
Because of the above mentioned, a myriad of trips, vacations, concerts , new restaurants, movies, etc etc remain on the bucket lists and are never experienced. Simple example: years ago the thought of sushi freaked me out. I mean, a lot of the menu items include RAW fish, and fish eggs, and stuff like EEL. It simply sounded wrong and unappetizing.

But then one day I told myself: "Woman, you used to hate olives and feta cheese, now you're favorite salad in the world is a Greek salad. Man up, put on your big girl panties and try the freaking raw fish. It won't kill you to TRY." And by golly, I tried it. And I loved it. Today it's my guilty pleasure, a sinful pleasure. Not chocolate, not ice cream, but sushi. It never would have happened if I continued to place self made barriers before me. 

Now, my dreams are a little bigger, a little grander, and perhaps a little harder than simply tasting a new cuisine. But they are in no way impossible. I wish to travel, extensively. I've already done some research, and with a little savvy, one can see the world without breaking the bank. I wish to own my own house. Busy doing the research, next step is to simply go to the bank. I wish to finish my articles and become a hot shot in my career. Busy with it, 3 subjects to go, in less than a year's time, I will be very much well on my way. I wish to have adrenaline filled adventures, bungee jumping being first on the list, and by golly, it's available less than 500km from my home. I simply need to once again man up, put on my big girl panties and do it.



The list on top illustrates the "reasons" people don't follow their bliss. I see it as excuses. With every excuse you as a person put up walls which make the achievement of your bliss that much more difficult. We, homo sapiens, are our own worst enemy. We have no one else to blame if we're not living the dream. No one but ourselves.

So, get out of your own way and bust a move. Go to that open house. Go test drive that car. Look at those tattoo designs that you've been thinking about getting since you were 16. (Side note: If you do get inked, make sure you LOVE the design and pick a good spot, you'll be living with it for a very very long time. ) Go on that blind date. Go try that new restaurant in town and go see that movie. Go have a chat with your bank manager and then book that foreign trip. Send your resume to every company that may have your dream job and take that chance. Try new food, listen to new types of music, adjust your wardrobe a little, get a haircut, let your hair grow, live your life. Get our of your own way, find and follow your bliss. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds just like you Phoenix... I would love to do a lot of things but I simply DONT HAVE THE TIME! I know i know i need to live a little, man up, put on my big girl panties and do it

    ReplyDelete