Wednesday, June 5, 2013

More than just cleanliness

I know that I haven't posted about a wash day in quite a while, partly because my regimen has been so set, that to repeat the same thing would have bored me, and I would not want to bore anyone reading my posts. I however wish to share my most recent wash day with y'all due to the fact that I have been trying out a few new things and I think they warrant mention. Note - these are not reviews, I plan to do those once these new products are all used up and I can see exactly what effect that they had over the long term.

Firstly, my most recent wash day was the first wash after my relaxer touch up, and I thus felt that I need to fortify my hair with some extra protein. At the same time, my ends felt dry, which I believe was caused largely by the mineral deposits left behind after the relaxer, and thus I needed to clarify as well as add lots of moisture. And thus my wash day went as follows:

  • Prepoo with ORS Hair Mayonaise, covering my hair with a plastic cap, and sitting with the prepoo for about 45 minutes to an hour
  • Rinse and shampoo with Amway Satinique Gentle Daily Cleanser. I needed to clarify but I wanted to use the most gentle shampoo in my arsenal. The Satinique Daily Cleanser is SO creamy and rich, my hair felt clean but soft and nourished. I lathered twice and then proceeded to just rinse my hair for a few minutes under the shower. Thank heavens for soft water.
  • I applied Pantene Moisture Renewal Conditioner for an instant conditioner, finger detangling as I applied it. It really sinks into one's hair, and I think that I will definitely repurchase once this bottle has seen its end.
  • After rinsing out the Pantene, I lightly towel dried my hair and then applied Avon's Morrocan Oil Hair Mask as my deep conditioner. It is one of my new products and I was very curious considering that it cost my N$ 45 ( about US$ 4) for a 150ml tube. It is a very thick conditioner, the word "mask" is very much suitable. It felt as if I had to use quite a bit to be able to cover every strand. I felt a little apprehensive at first because it didn't seem to have much slip. I persevered though, covered my hair with the mask, put on the plastic cap again and proceeded to DC for a good hour, maybe even an hour and a half. I was watching Ally McBeal reruns and lost track of time.
  • When I started to rinse the DC my hair felt SO soft, I could barely believe it. I officially like this Morrocan Oil mask, my hair felt soft and nourished and strong.
  • After rinsing I blotted my hair to remove excess moisture and let it air dry for a few minutes before applying my leave in, which is also new this month - Avon's Moisturizing Leave-In Treatment with Moisture IQ. So far I'm quite happy with it too. It does leave my hair feeling nice and soft, but we'll leave the final review for later.
  • I then proceeded to detangle and roller set. I did experience a bit of breakage during this process, enough to make me rethink my daily regimen when it comes to moisture and manipulation, but thank heavens, not so much to have me in tears. I left my hair to airdry in the rollers, which took a good 3 hours. I then removed the rollers, applied a bit of coconut oil to my scalp and to the length of the hair for a bit of extra shine and then proceeded to pin my hair up into a French roll.
In general I was pretty happy with the results of my most recent wash day. My hair felt smooth, soft, strong and nourished. I'm planning to keep focusing on  maintaining the moisture/protein balance and to have wash day not be a frustrating activity. (Which is partly also why I relegate it to Saturdays or Sundays - I have ALL day and I don't feel rushed. I HATE feeling rushed.)

So, how did your wash day go? Till next time, happy growind and blessed living!

No comments:

Post a Comment